Ginger Miso Super Soup: The new year is a great time to reset, begin new healthy habits, or renew old ones. This is also the time of year where viruses and colds are prevalent and our bodies crave healthier, more nutrient-rich foods. Whether you are looking to eat healthier or combat the bugs going around, this soup hits the spot. It is comforting, warming and chock-full of antioxidants and vitamins thanks to the celery, zucchini and spinach.
The fresh ginger and garlic add incredible flavor while also lending their anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties. And the miso, a fermented soybean paste that forms this soup’s rich and complex broth, is a nutrient powerhouse, full of vitamins, minerals and probiotics, which aids in digestion and strengthens your immune system.
All in all, this is a “super soup” that delivers on the health value without sacrificing flavor. Move over chicken noodle! This [vegan] soup is the new antidote to your wintertime woes. Bon appétit!
Ginger Miso Super Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, minced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups of water, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 8 oz firm tofu, cubed
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon miso paste*
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Sliced green onions to garnish
*You can find miso paste in the refrigerated section of most specialty markets.
- Heat coconut oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add celery, ginger and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 5 additional minutes.
- Add 7 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add zucchini and boil until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- While zucchini is cooking, separately boil 1 cup of water then combine with miso paste in a small bowl, stirring with a fork to combine. Set aside. (Note: It is important to add the miso at the end. Boiling miso kills some of the probiotics.)
- When zucchini is cooked, add spinach and tofu, cooking just until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add miso paste/water blend and rice vinegar and stir. Serve immediately garnished with green onions.
Ginger Miso Super Soup
Did you give this recipe a try? Any other recipes you would like to share with us at Foodie by Trende? Join the conversation on Facebook!