As we approach summer, we are beginning to see delicious spring and summer seasonal fruits popping up in grocery stores and at farm stands. The ultimate fruit of summer are, of course, berries. Blackberries, blueberries, cherries, strawberries, raspberries – there’s nothing quite like them. Bursting with flavor, and balance of sweet and tart, these little fruits are nature’s candy.
This salad features one of nature’s tastiest and healthiest berries, the blueberry. By now, you have surely heard of the blueberry’s amazing health benefits: chock-full of antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients, which are believed to help combat aging, cancer and disease. Add quinoa, a complete plant-based source of protein, arugula, green onions, cashews and dried cherries, and you have a delicious and well-balanced salad that can serve as a main dish or a side.
What truly brings this salad together is this Maple Ginger Dressing. The maple syrup and lime juice bring out the sweet and tartness of the blueberries, while the freshly grated ginger adds an unexpected kick.
Simple to make, this is a salad that is as bright and complex in flavor as it is filling and nutritious. Bring as a side dish (a.k.a., “main dish” for vegans) to summer potlucks and BBQs, pack for your lunch at work, or enjoy at home with dinner. As always, bon appétit!
Blueberry Quinoa Salad with Maple Ginger Dressing
Serves 4 (as main dish)
- ½ cup quinoa, dried
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 4 cups arugula
- ½ cup maple ginger dressing + more for serving (recipe follows)
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. Unless package says “pre-rinsed,” be sure to rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking. After quinoa is cooked, remove from heat, fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss until everything is coated. Enjoy!
Maple Ginger Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy on all your favorite salads!
Note: Save extra dressing in a sealed container in the fridge.
Did you give this recipe a try? Any other recipes you would like to share with us at Foodie by Trendeing? Join the conversation on Facebook!