Vegan | Gluten-free Option
Beet Sliders with Cashew Ranch by Jenna Garcia
With the Super Bowl coming up this Sunday and the Academy Awards less than a month away, you are bound to be headed to a gathering that involves TV watching and lots of tasty finger foods. Your Pinterest homepage is probably filling up with lots of delicious-looking cheesy, gooey, meaty appetizers. As a vegan and/or GF eater, you can only load up on so much chips and guac. What’s the healthy foodie to do?
Make these Beet Sliders with Cashew Ranch! Indulgent, delicious and fun, these sliders are likely to please everyone from the most confirmed carnivore to the pickiest eater at the party. The beets are oven roasted then sliced and sautéed in coconut oil until lightly crispy. Served on freshly toasted rolls with baby greens, red onions and creamy cashew ranch, these will hit the spot every time — without compromising your health. Use a whole wheat roll for a healthier recipe, potato or white roll for something fun, or a gluten-free roll to make the recipe gluten-free.
And don’t skimp on this Cashew Ranch – it completes the recipe! Creamy, zesty and tangy, this ranch gives you the satisfaction of a traditional ranch, but with all plant-based, whole ingredients. The recipe makes a little extra, which can be used as a dip for veggies and/or chips.
Give this recipe a try and share with some friends. Bon appétit!
Beet Sliders with Cashew Ranch
Makes 12 sliders
- 4-6 medium beets
- 12 rolls, halved*
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Baby or micro greens
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- Cashew Ranch (see recipe below)
*Use gluten-free rolls to make recipe gluten-free.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap each beet whole in aluminum foil, with skins on. Place on foil-lined baking sheet in the oven. Bake until beets are cooked through, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing the skins. (Skins will slide off easily with your fingers.)**
- Heat frying pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon coconut oil, swirling to cover entire pan. Add rolls, halved sides down. (Depending on how big your pan is, you may need to do this in 2-3 batches.) Remove from heat.
- While toasting bread, slice beets horizontally into 1 inch wide medallions. Salt both sides. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to frying pan and add beets, cooking over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Beets should look a bit golden. Remove from heat.
- Assemble sliders by placing beet first on the bottom half of the roll followed by microgreens and red onion slices, and topped with a healthy spoonful of cashew ranch. Put on the top of the roll and serve.
**Note: this step can be done ahead of time. Once they’ve cooled, store in a sealed container in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Soak raw cashews in 1 cup of water for at least 30 minutes before using. (To speed up the process, use hot water and soak for at least 10 minutes.) Drain.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Did you give this recipe a try? Any other recipes you would like to share with us at Foodie by Trende? Join the conversation on Facebook!