Vegan | Gluten-Free
by Jenna Garcia
This week’s recipe is for the best, freshest chunky guacamole you’re going to taste all summer. As the weather warms up, we long for raw, cool foods - and this guac totally hits the spot. Creamy and chunky, bursting with flavor and layered textures, this guacamole is perfect for your next BBQ, potluck, or even weeknight dinner.
My hubby grew up with a giant avocado tree in his backyard (dream come true), and despite this, was not a fan of avocados. (Say, what?!) Naturally, I took it upon myself to show him the magic of the avocado. This was the recipe that won him over to the “green” side… and he’s never going back!
With so many recipes out there for guac, what makes this one so special? Glad you asked...
Here’s a few of my secrets for fantastic chunky guacamole:
- Don’t add the avocados until you are ready to eat it. Once you add the avocados and mix, serve right away for the best, freshest guac.
- Use shallots instead of regular old onions. Shallots have a smoother flavor, which complements the other ingredients without overpowering them.
- Use the freshest ingredients. Seriously, guac is only as good as the ingredients you use in it, and this is especially true for avocados. Look for those perfectly-ripe avocados. When avocados are ready to eat, they should feel soft, but still spring back a bit when you press on the skin. Also, you should be able to easily pull back the stem, and the flesh inside should look bright green.
- Cut your avocados into nice cubes before adding to the tomato mixture. This gives you a lot of options for how chunky or creamy you would like your guac to be. I like mine a bit more chunky, so I mash it less.
- Season with Trader Joe’s Chile Lime seasoning blend. My newest find from Trader Joe’s, this seasoning blend adds a delicious punch and zest to the guac.
Enjoy with corn chips, on tacos or fajitas, or with a spoon straight out of the bowl (no judgment here).
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeño, seeds removed, diced
- ⅓ bunch cilantro, chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 ripe avocados
- Trader Joe’s Chile Lime Seasoning Blend (or salt and pepper,) to taste
- Add all tomatoes, shallots, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, cumin and lime juice to a bowl, stir to combine.
- To prep avocados: cut in half, removing the pit. With avocado still in its skin, slice into small cubes. Scope the avocado flesh out with a spoon and add to the tomato mixture. Using a fork, gently stir. Once everything is combined, mashed the mixture with the fork until desired texture (I prefer more chunky, of course). Season to taste with Trader Joe’s Chile Lime Seasoning Blend or salt and pepper. Enjoy!
TIP: For spicier flavor, you can add more diced jalapeños. The spiciest part of the jalapeño are the seeds and membrane, but use caution if you choose to add as some peppers may be hotter than others. It’s best to add a small amount, taste, and add more if desired.