I love cooking - I really do. But sometimes, I need something low-key. Something I can throw together quickly, that’s hearty but still tastes amazing. If that’s what you’re looking for - congrats, you just found it!
These stuffed bell peppers make for a great weeknight dinner that is both well-balanced and fun for the kids (and adults) in your life! It’s an all-in-one dinner that takes under 40 minutes to throw together - half of which is baking time. Really, can you ask for anything more?
Besides the bell peppers, the star of this show is this Trader Joe’s Beef-less Ground Beef.
This soy-based meat replacement is easy to use and super high in protein. (21+ grams of protein per bell pepper!) For our recipe, we sauteed it up with onions, mushrooms, and garlic for a simple, tasty and satisfying filling.
Easy Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4-5 large bell peppers*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3.5 ounces shitake mushrooms, diced
- 2 12 ounce packs of beefless ground beef
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce + more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded mozzarella-style vegan cheese, optional
*If using smaller bell peppers, you’ll need a couple more.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the bell peppers. Slice off the tops of the bell peppers and set aside. Clean out the insides, rinse and pat dry. Carefully slice a small amount off the bottom of the bell peppers to ensure that the pepper can stand upright without falling over. (Be careful NOT to cut off too much - you don’t want the filling to spill out!) Place peppers upright in a parchment-lined baking pan or sheet. Dice any extra bell pepper pieces to be added to the “beef” mixture.
- Heat medium-size saute pan to medium heat, add olive oil, onion, and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent - about 5 minutes. Add shitake mushrooms and diced bell peppers and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add beefless ground beef to onion/mushroom mixture, crumbling it with fingers to ensure consistent texture. Cook for about 5 minutes or so, then add soy sauce and salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Spoon beefless ground beef mixture into each bell pepper, filling a little above the edges of the pepper. Pat down with a spoon to ensure they are completely filled. Add shredded vegan cheese to the top, if desired.
- Put pan in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the peppers start to appear slightly blistered on the outside. Remove from the oven and serve right away. (If you’re feeling fancy, garnish with fresh parsley or basil.) Enjoy!