Summer is in full swing with warm sunny days, long evenings, and backyard barbecues. With school out, we tend to see more friends and family than we usually would during a regular work week, and because of all this extra fun we also tend to spend more money. So we have compiled a list of 10 summer activities that are completely free! Here’s to a summer full of fun that won’t break the bank.
1. Downtown Picnic
1. Visit your favorite downtown area and have a picnic. Summertime is one of the best times for outdoor activities including picnics! Visit one of your favorite downtown spaces and enjoy a simple picnic while you take in the hustle and bustle of the city. If you are wondering where to have your picnic, see if your downtown has a nearby park. Many downtown areas have a park or sitting space right in the middle of the city.
2. Country Bike Ride
2. Go for a bike ride in the country. A bike ride is a fun activity to do with friends and is an easy way to get time outdoors. Look up your nearest countryside and pick out a couple of miles you would find most interesting to ride through. Then invite a couple of friends and leisurely make your way through the landscape for a peaceful afternoon. If you prefer a more urban landscape, bike around your favorite city instead.
3. Free Local Events
3. Look at your local city’s calendar for fun free events. Summertime is full of free and fun events, you just have to find the ones that interest you. To find free events near you, go to your city’s website and check their calendar of events, or go to Facebook and look up events near you. If you are looking for a little adventure, try an event you wouldn’t normally go to for a brand new experience.
4. New Hiking Trail
4. Find a new hiking trail. If you love to hike, than this activity is for you! This summer spice up your hiking routine and look up a new park to visit or try a different trail at one of your favorite places. If you are having trouble finding a new hiking spot, try expanding your search radius by 10 - 20 miles. You might have to drive a little farther, but that’s just part of the adventure.
5. Pool Day
5. Have a pool day. Pool time is a classic summer tradition that will never go out of style. Gather a group of friends, grab your sunglasses, sunscreen, and swimsuit and you are set. If you do not have access to a pool, check out a local river, lake, or pond for warmer water that is completely free.
6. Shop Your Closet
6. Shop your closet. Shopping in your closet is a great way to find new outfits and freshen up your style without spending a dime. Have a couple friends over and let the fashion show begin! It’s easy to keep this experience fun and manageable by deciding how many new outfits you want before you start shopping. This way there is a clear ending point and you won’t get overwhelmed.
7. Lie under the stars. If you have never been stargazing, this is the summer to try it! For the perfect stargazing experience, you will need a couple fluffy blankets and pillows and comfy clothes. Drive to a spot with little to no trees in sight, the higher you can get the better. Open the trunk of your car and make the space soft and comfortable with all of your blankets and pillows and enjoy the view.
8. Game Night
8. Have a game night. A game night is a fun activity for large groups of people and is great for all ages. Ask your guests to bring a couple of their favorite games and a beverage to share and before you know it you will have endless game options and fun drinks. For a no-cost beverage make a pitcher of infused water with whatever fruit and herbs you have on hand.
9. Beach Day
9. Beach Day. Summer wouldn’t be summer without at least one visit to the beach. Make this beach visit your best yet and bring along a couple of outdoor games, pack a book you have been wanting to read, wear your favorite swimsuit, and don’t forget to bring water and sunscreen. The beach is also a space where you can exercise or meditate outside of your regular environment. Run along the water for an intense leg workout or let yourself be lulled into peacefulness by the sound of the waves as you meditate.
10. Movie Night
10. Host a movie night. Movie nights are a fun and simple way to gather friends together and share an experience. To make summer movie nights a little more adventurous, ask everyone to bring a film from a specific decade or genre and see what movie you end up watching. And to keep this movie night budget friendly, ask everyone to bring a snack or drink to share.