Vegan | Gluten-Free
by Jenna Garcia
Today’s recipe for vegetable fajitas is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Fajitas are one of my favorite things to make when I have guests over - with so many options for toppings, fajitas are super customizable (which means everyone is happy. #forthewin) Whether you make this for your Fourth of July festivities or another event, this recipe is best enjoyed in the summer, when bell peppers, tomatoes and avocados are in season.
Sauteed onions and bell peppers tossed in a spicy garlic-lime sauce are complemented by hearty black beans and toppings including creamy guac (check out my recipe for chunky guac here) and salsa. Toss everything together in a tortilla or enjoy separately. Other options for toppings include vegan crema (check out my recipe here) or vegan cheese (my favorite is Diya’s Jalapeño Havarti Style Block).
The sauce on the onions and bell peppers, called “mojo de ajo” (“garlic sauce”), is what makes this dish truly spectacular. Although it’s very simple, the mixture of fresh garlic, olive oil, crushed red pepper and lime juice coats the onions and bell peppers, making them spicy, zesty and bright.
- 1 yellow onion, cut into thin slices
- 3 bell peppers (assorted colors), cut into thin slices
- Olive oil for sauteeing
- Mojo de Ajo sauce (see below)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cans black beans
- Tortillas (corn or wheat, depending on preference)
- Topping options: salsa, guacamole, vegan cheese, vegan crema
Mojo de Ajo Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced finely
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat heavy-bottomed fry pan over medium heat, add a little bit of olive oil. Add onions and saute for about a minute. Add bell peppers and cook until soft, stirring every few minutes. While cooking, blend all ingredients of the mojo de ajo in a bowl. Remove onions and bell peppers from heat and add mojo de ajo, tossing to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Reheat black beans in a saucepan over medium heat. If desired, add 2 cloves smashed garlic to add flavor, season with salt to taste.
- To serve: Put out all ingredients. Starting with tortilla, add black beans, bell pepper mixture and then toppings of choice. Enjoy!