Today’s recipe is my take on the delicious and indulgent fries that have taken the country by storm: sweet potato fries! Sweet potatoes are a nutrient-rich alternative to the ordinary potato and have unique flavor and texture.
Now, I’ve got nothing against an occasional splurge for deep fried sweet potatoes, but these baked fries are a much easier (and healthier) option to make at home. These crispy, salty baked sweet potato fries make a delicious side dish to a veggie burger – or satisfying snack all on their own.
I know some people enjoy their sweet potato fries in ketchup, but I’m all about that ranch. Ranch balances the sweetness of sweet potatoes with its savory, creamy and herb-a-licious flavor. And these fries pair perfectly with this flavorful Vegan Chile Lime “Ranch.”
Filled with fresh garlic and lots of dried dill, this ranch also includes the unexpected taste of zesty lime juice and my newest favorite spice find, Trader Joe’s Chile Lime Seasoning Blend. If you haven’t tried this seasoning blend yet, be sure to grab a jar and use in lots of summer recipes, including this guacamole.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Vegan “Ranch”
Sweet Potato Fries Ingredients:
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + more for serving
- Optional: 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Vegan Chile Lime “Ranch” Ingredients:
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Trader Joe’s Chile Lime Seasoning Blend*
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- Salt to taste**
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
* If you cannot find this (or just don’t have time to run to the store,) you can substitute in chile powder.
** I like to use Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base for added depth of flavor. You can buy this at most specialty markets and (often) at Costco.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To prepare sweet potatoes: Peel sweet potatoes and slice long-ways into ½ inch thick slices. Lay slices flat and slice again into ½ inch thick strips. (For longer sweet potatoes, you may want to cut these strips in half.) You will want the fries to be equal-ish in size so that they cook evenly – but don’t stress about them looking perfect! Add sweet potatoes to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, sea salt and thyme, if desired.
- Place fries single-layer on parchment-paper-lined baking sheets and put in the oven. While cooking, check fries every 10 minutes or so, rotating 180 degrees and/or top and bottom racks, to allow for equal cooking.
- Depending on your oven, the fries should take 30-40 minutes to cook. Remove from the oven when they are golden and crispy, but not too dark. (Some burnt-looking edges are okay, but don’t overdo it.) Add salt to taste and serve immediately.
- While fries are cooking, make the vegan chile lime “ranch:” add all ingredients to a bowl and stir with a fork to combine completely. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Enjoy the sweet potato fries fresh out of the oven and dipped in this fabulous “ranch”!